What is a parent’s liabiltiy for an 18 year old’s medical bills?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is a parent’s liabiltiy for an 18 year old’s medical bills?

An 18 year old on their parent’s insurance but the 18 year old has not lived with that parent for a 1 1/2 years. The 18 year old has been living on his own for 6 months.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the 18 year old is still on his or her parents' insurance policy then the parents have made a gift to the child for the benefits of the policy. As to monies owed by the child after he or she turns 18 years of age, the parents are not legally responsible for the child's bills. The child is since he or she is now an adult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption