Reporting convictions to future employers

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Reporting convictions to future employers

I dot an umderage at 18. My record was expunged. My future employer for an
internship asked the following question

Have you EVER been convicted of or pleaded guilty to any crime
other than a minor traffic offense?
Circle either YES or NO
2. If YES, for each conviction, please provide in or attached to this
questionnaire a the date, b the city and state, or jurisdiction, and c
a brief description and/or nature of offense.

How should I answer it?

Asked on October 8, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Answer "no." The entire purpose of expungement--the reason why society, through your state legislators and the courts--have expungement is to give you a fresh start. It wipes out the conviction, so it doesn't haunt or follow you. You would be undoing the entire purpose of expungement if you reveal the conviction. Once you get expungement, no one--including you--should reveal the expunged record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption