Repackaging and reselling candy

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Repackaging and reselling candy

i’m planning on buying a candy in bulk specifically Japanese sugar candy and i
was thinking of repackaging it into smaller containers with my own designs to
sell it online. I have no intentions of claiming the candy as my own and I would
acknowledge the original manufacturer, but i was wondering if it is legal to do
that? thank you.

Asked on November 18, 2017 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may do this so long as when you bought the candy, you did not agree to any terms of purchase that made it "not for resale": if you did, you are contractually bound to that agreement to not resell it. Also, if anything about this specific candy does not comply with food or import laws, you would be barred by those laws, so you need to look into laws and regulations (e.g. FDA regulations) as they relate to the candy you are contemplating reselling.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption