What are the legal ramifications of renting out a decedent’s house for a short period of time?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the legal ramifications of renting out a decedent’s house for a short period of time?

 I am the PR for my brother’s estate. No Will.

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As the personal representative for your brother's estate, you have the obligation to safeguard the estate's assets for the beneficiaries. One way to safeguard an asset would be to rent out the empty home. By doing this, you would have someone presumably that you trust watching over the home as well as generating some income for the estate.

Make sure that the home is insured as an asset of the estate with liability insurance as well as all other insurance in the event of a fire, water damage or other calamity to the structure.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption