Can a landlord require a tenant to have renters insurance before renting their property or moving in?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord require a tenant to have renters insurance before renting their property or moving in?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A landlord can require as a condition of a valid lease with a tenant that the tenant place a policy of insurance for the unit to be rented. The landlord can require this insurance to be placed and documentation provided him or her before possession of the desired rental is given to the tenant.

This requirement makes good business sense for the landlord and in effect, not only protects the landlord from possible damage claims to the property rented, but also claims of the tenant to his or her personal property that may be damaged during the occupancy of the rented unit depending upon how the policy is worded for covered claims and damages.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption