Renter Repairs Reimbursement

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Renter Repairs Reimbursement

If a renter made renovations to a house that was in unlivable conditions will the
landlord still be obligated to reimburse the renter for every renovation that the
renter made if the renter paid for everything even if the house is still in
unlivable condition since it would be one less thing to do to make it livable.
This Is in NM

Asked on May 19, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, the renter has *no* right to reimbursement for renovations unless the landlord had agreed (whether in the lease or otherwise) to reimburse them for these costs. If someone makes improvements to space they live in without an agreement that it will be reimbursed, they do so only for their own benefit (e.g. to improve their living experience); you cannot obligate another person to pay you for somethhing you do without their consent or agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption