renter on cmmercial party won’t leave after not paying rent for 6 months

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

renter on cmmercial party won’t leave after not paying rent for 6 months

we took her to court may 28th and she didn’t show plus she tried to fight it and gave the court a bad check. she then apparently filed bankruptcy june 4th. the sheriif dept locked her out today and said she filed too late. she won’t leave is still harassing us and has done damages to the building. she just handed us a letter today stating she went bankrupt and will not leave and we are illegally locking her out because she still gets 90 days. who is right?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


Deborah Barron / Barron Law Corporation

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Commercial tenant laws are less protective than residential.  A bankruptcy can stay the eviction and then you would have to petition the bankruptcy court to allow you to proceed with the eviction.  If the Sheriff takes the position that she filed bankrutpcy too late and locked her out, why does he not physically remove her from the property?  Once locked out, if a tenant enters, it is trespass, breaking and entering and the Sheriff can remove that tenant from the property.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption