What to do if a new lease is signed with a landlord that replaces the one originally signed with their former management company?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a new lease is signed with a landlord that replaces the one originally signed with their former management company?

The owner of the rental home I live in has fired the management company, but W signed a lease with the management company. what do I need to do? The owner said I can sign a new lease with her but what happens to my deposit and last months rent that I put up with the management company?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that the management company was actually employeed by the owner at the time you signd the lease with them (i.e. it wasn't some kind of an elaborate scam, where you "leased" from someone who had no right to lease to you), the lease is still in effect and you and the owner are both bound by it. When a contract--and that's what a lease is; a contract--is signed by the agent of a principal (in this company, the management company is the agent; the owner is the principal), the principal is bound by it. Therefore, there is no need for a new lease; and also, you do not need to supply a new security deposit or last month's rent--those should be turned over to the owner, and, if not, the owner needs to sue the management company for them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption