Rent of apartment raised twice in 5 months. Total 25 per cent

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Rent of apartment raised twice in 5 months. Total 25 per cent

I live in a 3 unit apartment house. I had a lease the first year that I was here.
At the end of the year the landlord said we will just continue as we had and did
not provide another lease. He has raised the rent 2 times in five month a total
of 25 per cent.The lease agreement also said it included the use of one horse

sraising the rent this much in five months allowed ? I live in new Hampshire. I
also checked with the other tenants and they did NOT get a increase.

Asked on July 26, 2016 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If there is no in-effect written lease, you are a month-to-month tenant. That means that the landlord can demand rent increases at will, as long as it's on 30 days notice, and can do as often as she/he like--e.g., the landlord can increase the rent monthly. And without a written lease, there is no limit to what the landlord can charge you (that is, how much of an increase he/she can get): your only recourse is to move out if it's more than you want to pay. There is also no rule or law requiring that all tenants be charged the same amount(s), so you can get increases that other tenants do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption