removing a deceased parent from the bank mortgage

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

removing a deceased parent from the bank mortgage

My mother and I purchased a home several years ago. both names are on the

mortgage with the bank. My mom passed away a few months ago and had no estate, other than the house. She had no Will. I am working on the bank to restructure the loan to make the payments more reasonable. They said that they need documentation to have her taken off the mortgage. I have provided the death certificate but that isnt acceptable. The bank says they need these items and I have no idea what they are

1 Recorded Deed that transfers the property to you

2 Affidavit of Heirship or Affidavit of Succession to Property

3 Letter of Administration or Testamentary

4 Will or evidence that a Will has been submitted for probate

can you help me figure out what I need to provide them so we can get this

resolved? I do not have any money to spend on lawyers. I am trying to save the house but I don’t know where to turn now. t

Asked on August 23, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It sounds as if the deed as it stood did not leave you with "rights of survivorship" on the property so the bank needs to see that you alone are inheriting the property from Mom.  So they want to see that you have submitted her estate in to Probate (the Will is there was one or if not then an Administration as per the Intestacy Statute) and been appointed as the Fiduciary (Letters Administration/Testamentary) and the lineage of who inherits (Affidavit of Heirship/Succession).  If Mom intended to trasnfer the property to you and executed a Deed that Tranfers the property to you directly then that would suffice in lieu of the probate documentation.  Muster up enough money to consult an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption