Reimbursement for relocation and lost income

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Reimbursement for relocation and lost income

I am a registered nurse and was offered a civilian nursing job on a US air force base through a contracting company. I told the company I was not a US citizen I’m Canadian but have a valid green card and I have been in the US for 2 years. I relocated and started the job, but two weeks into the assignment it was discovered I was not eligible as you are required to have resided in the US for three years. I am trying to get reimbursed from the contracting company for all related expenses relocation, lost wages, cost to break my apartment lease which would be approximately 12,000. The contracting company deals exclusively with military contracts so should have been aware of the 3 year residency requirement. What type of lawyer should I contact, and do I have a case for reimbursement?

Asked on October 12, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you don't have a case for reimbursement. You write that you think that they "should have been aware of this," but they are not responsible for your decision to take the job and relocate unless they signed some agreement making them responsible. Otherwise, it was your responsibility in the law's eyes to make sure you were eligible to work: no one else is liable or responsible for you unless they contractually (i.e. by some agreement) voluntarily took on that responsibility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption