Reimbursement for cost to travel to job interview

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Reimbursement for cost to travel to job interview

I am trying to get my costs reimbursed for travel to an interview on 5/24/2019. I have lots of documentation both prior to the interview and after the interview that they would reimburse me. I have had an attorney write them a letter asking for payment. If I don’t hear from them in the next week, what are my options? Small claims court? The amount is 640. There is no question that they agreed to pay and they told me they were processing the payment. But I have not received it or any explanation for almost a month.

Asked on July 27, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

IF they agreed to reimburse you prior to you agreeing to come out for the interview, that agreement would constitute or form an enforceable agreement (contract). You could sue for "breach of contact" for the money. If you want to sue in small claims court, you'd have to sue in the county in which the employer was located, since small claims courts are courts of limited jurisdication--they only have power over defendants within their own countries. Outside that county, you'd have to sue in "regular" state court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption