What can happen if you have a warrant out for failure to finish DUI classes?

UPDATED: May 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen if you have a warrant out for failure to finish DUI classes?

I am walking into court tomorrow but before I do so I am concern of what can happen; I did not finish my DUI classes a month ago as per my probation. I just found out there is warrant. I am going to court to ask if I can finish them. I finished with the rest; this is the last thing that I need to complete. What can be the worst case? I am worried that they can detain me.

Asked on May 25, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

That is a valid concern.  It is quite commendable that you are turning yourself in on the warrant but I might suggest that you go down with an attorney to do so.  When you violate the terms of your probation that can void the agreement, meaning that you could be sentenced as you would have been on the original offense.  Turning yourself in rather than having you hauled in in cuffs is a plus here shows your intentions are good.  But without someone to help talk your way through it and there on your side you may become embroiled in a legal maze.  Get help.  Don't do it alone.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption