Regarding divorce decree

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Regarding divorce decree

I was divorced 14 months ago. My ex-husband and I filed that year’s taxes jointly. On the decree it states that we split the amount owed for state and federal taxes. I paid my part after the divorce was final. He still has not paid his part and it is hurting my credit. What can I do to get this taken care of. He was also in charge of paying off his credit card where my name was also on it.

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Family Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your ex paid as he claimed on June 21, that would resolve the matter.
If he failed to pay, you can have him held in contempt of court for violating the terms of your divorce decree.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause and schedule a hearing for contempt of court. You should also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of contempt of court along with supporting documents and a proof of service. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing a copy of your documents to your ex and provides notice of the hearing. You can use a court form proof of service.
Check with the court clerk to inquire if additional forms are required because the required forms for contempt of court may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption