How do I get my ex to pay off his share of credit card debt?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex to pay off his share of credit card debt?

I let my ex-boyfriend use my credit card. Now we aren’t together anymore and don’t want him to have any access to my password nor do I want him to know what I do with my card. He’s refusing to pay if I don’t send him a monthly statement. I feel he doesn’t need to have one since we both know exactly what we owe. He just that he wants to have control over me and see what I do. I would like to know what my rights are? I already sent him all the information for the payments.

Asked on August 18, 2011 New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The main question is, what was the agreement when you let him use the card? If the agreement was that it was essentially a loan and he would repay, you may enforce that; but if you were letting him use the card as a gift, he has no obligation to repay (for example: if you buy your significant other dinner as a sign of affection, he does not need to repay you for it--it was a gift).

Assuming there was an agreement to repay, as stated, you can enforce it--but will have to sue him for the money if he doesn't repay voluntarily. You'd need to prove the existence and terms of the agreement (including by testifying to it, if it was oral or verbal) and also prove which charges were his. You could try suing in small claims court to reduce the cost. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption