How to get a refund of a probate bond?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a refund of a probate bond?

I am a “guardian of the person” of my mentally handicapped brother in a state institution. I became guardian after my mother passed 6 years ago. I paid a $100 bond to the court at the time I became guardian. Recently, I found out my mother also paid $100 bond 10 years earlier. How do I get a refund of her bond?

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are still the guardian of your handicapped brother per a court order, you are not entitled to get a refund of the $100 bond that you paid so long as you continue to act in the capacity of his guardian.

If the guardianship has ended, I would file a petition with the court asking for the return of the $100 that you paid for the bond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption