refund for wrong type of appraisal

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

refund for wrong type of appraisal

Process of buying a house on 13 acres. the house is in need of major repairs. started the process of a renovation loan. Had the build do up the plans for the addition and renovation. Our realtor said that going from the 2 bed 1 bath to a 4 bed 2.5 bath and increase sq ft by 4 times, comps in the area are between 350k to 400k. getting the house and 13 acres for under 100k and putting in 150k into the house. Bank said we needed a renovation appraisal which looks at current house and property and the planned renovations. We paid the appraisal fee. The appraisal came back at the current value without looking at the planned renovation. The bank says it looks like the appraiser did the wrong type. Now they want us to pay another appraisal fee and go to a different appraiser. Seems like either the bank coded it wrong or the appraiser did it wrong. Either way, I already paid for an appraisal once and did not get the appraisal type I was told I was getting. Should I be able to get a refund for this?

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if the bank ordered the wrong appraisal, they would have to pay for a new one; or if the bank ordered the correct one, but the appraiser performed the wrong appraisal, the appraiser would be responsible for the cost. The party that was at-fault in  causing the wrong appraisal to be done is the party that legally would have to pay. 
Practically, if neither will voluntarily pay, you'd have to sue both (both, since you as yet do not know who was responsible) and in court, determine who was at fault and get a judgment against them. This could easily cost more than the cost of the appraisal, and you'd have to bear the itigation cost yourself--that is, it is very unlikely to be cost effective to do this. You are probably best off ordering/paying for a new appraisal, while also seeing if there is anything your tax preparer can do with the excess cost on your taxes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption