Refinance question.

UPDATED: May 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Refinance question.

I share my home with my Ex-Wife along with a Friend of mine. Combined, I recieve $1,500.00 per Mo. from them. I believe this is Taxable Income and I’m wondering if I can claim this as “Other Income” on a Refinance applicationThank, you in advance for your time

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

yes money you receive for rent which is what it seems you are receiving can be considered other income for tax purposes and on refinance applications as well.

One thing to be careful about it make sure you are paying taxes on that income I am sure you are but it is important to make sure you declare that money to ensure no differences between your actual tax return and the refinance application.

you also should explain this situation to your financial advisor who will tell you where to include all sources of income on such an application.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption