Recouping medical costs and compensation

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Recouping medical costs and compensation

Teen took a yard sign from a lawn and threw it like a frisbee
approx 30 feet in the direction of his friends. It hit my teen in the
eye causing a serious injury. Surgery will be required. There will
also be long term problems with cataracts. Medical costs adding
up. How to proceed with the negligent teen’s family?

Asked on February 4, 2019 under Personal Injury, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Notify the homeowner's insurance carrier of your child's personal injury claim.
When your child either completes his/her medical treatment and is released by the doctor or is declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain the medical bills and medical reports. Your child's claim filed with the homeowner's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports document the injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills. 
If the case is settled with the homeowner's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  The settlement should include compensation for future treatment of cataracts with an estimated cost discounted to present value.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the homeowner's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit on behalf of your child against the teen's parents for negligence.  The teen should also be named as a defendant in the lawsuit in addition to his parents. You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of your child if he/she is a minor.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit for negligence must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations  or your child will lose his/her rights in the matter forever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption