How best to apply for a pardon from the governor?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to apply for a pardon from the governor?

I have 2 misdemeanors for unauthorized use of property and disorderly conduct. I am trying to get back into school but need to know if its’s even worth the money. I realize I don’t qualify for expungement. I am a 4.0 student in college and do things for my community. What are my chances for a pardon? Should I continue in school and apply in a couple of years to get a pardon? Also, what is the best advice in to what type of schooling I should continue on with? Should I just learn a trade? Or should I finish medical school (BA first) then apply for a pardon? In OH.

Asked on November 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Have you consulted with a criminal defense attorney about the chance of you being able to possibly get an expungement now or in the future? The two misdemeanors that you have do not seem in and of themselves something that would preclude an expungement down the road especially if you are getting good grades in college.

As to getting a pardon from the governor of your state, pardons at that level are rarely given. The way to seek one is to write the governor's assistant about the circumstances about your conviction, what you were convicted for, what you have done since and the reasons for the desired pardon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption