If I bought a used vehicle that had a problem the dealership refused to fix so I posted a online compliants, can I be sued for that?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a used vehicle that had a problem the dealership refused to fix so I posted a online compliants, can I be sued for that?

I drove the car a half mile to fill up the tank with fuel. The gas gauge failed to work. I went back to the dealership and they refused to fix it. They said I signed off on it. I had no idea it was bad and it wasn’t stated anywhere about the problem. I started posting on their website about the ordeal and get sent a letter stating that I am interfering with their business. I am told if I don’t stop I will be taken to court. Can they do that legally and win?

Asked on June 15, 2015 under General Practice, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you can only be successfully sued if you are making untrue statement of fact (so, not stating opinions and not stating true facts); if you are making untrue factual statements that damage another person's (or business's) reputation, that is defamation. So legally, depending on what you are saying, they not have grounds to sue you.

The problem is, it is almost impossible to stop someone from at least filing a law suit and forcing you to defend against it, spending time and possibly money. Therefore, you are better off not posting the comments, even if you believe that they are true--whatever emotional satisfaction posting gives you is probably not worth having to deal with a lawsuit, whether it is a valid one or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption