If I received deep cuts on 2 fingers from a loose metal panel on an MTA bus, what kind of money should I ask for on the claim?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received deep cuts on 2 fingers from a loose metal panel on an MTA bus, what kind of money should I ask for on the claim?

Accident report filed immediately with LACMTA. Incident likely recorded on video. Bus driver administered first aid. Physician’s report forthcoming. Pain occurs when opening jars, filing papers and other activities. Numbness felt when operating computer mouse, winding a watch and other office and household activites. Pictures of injury available.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to do some leg work here.  Ask your doctor about: physical therapy, occupational therapy etc.  Then you need to investigate the cost of those services over the term that your doctor thinks they will be necessary.  Is your employment going to be changed by your disability?  Are you going to have to change professions? How much pain are you suffering?

Do you want to fight it out in court or do you want them to pay the claim?  The lower the number, the higher the chance they will just settle.  If money is more important now, then settlement might be more attractive. 

It is really hard to ballpark a settlement number and I am a family law attorney, but I have seen similar cases settle for around 80-100,000.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption