If I received a traffic citation but the officer entered virtually all of my personal info incorrectly, what to do?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a traffic citation but the officer entered virtually all of my personal info incorrectly, what to do?

The officer entered the drivers license number, full name, date of birth, height and weight for a completely different person, not another family member, not someone with the same last name, a totally different person. The only correct information was my home address and the vehicle information. What should I do about this ticket?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under General Practice, Georgia


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, if you chose to appeal the ticket, the RMV would send a notice to the person identified on the ticket (by name and driver's license number).  If you did appeal and the other person received the notice for the hearing, it would be up to them to contest the ticket, basically stating that they were never stopped/cited.  That being said, where they have your home address and vehicle information, the Registry and courts may be able to trace the ticket back to you eventually. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption