What to do if I received a letter in mail from a county court saying I owe money from tickets I received 19 years ago while I was 17?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received a letter in mail from a county court saying I owe money from tickets I received 19 years ago while I was 17?

I owe $200 for 5 tickets for driving without a license, insurance and tags. This is the first I’m hearing about it. It’s my name except the middle initial is wrong and was sent to my fathers address. It says I will receive a warrant for my arrest, license suspension and fine if I don’t pay it. Is that even possible?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the claim for $200 in tickets dating back some nineteen (19) years ago would appear time barred from collections and even being collectible under a judgment against you under the laws of all states in this country due to statute of limitations considerations.

I would write a letter in response to what you received stating that the claim is time barred under the law from being collected upon. Keep a copy of your letter for future use and reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption