Received a citation for misdemenor Leave the scene of accident with property damage.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Received a citation for misdemenor Leave the scene of accident with property damage.

I was pulling out of a parking lot and hit a person on a bicycle. He got up and I asked him if he was ok and he said yes, then I asked him if his bike was ok. He said yes again. How can I be charged with leaving the scene?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Accident Law, Florida


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Leaving the scene of an accident can be a serious charge, but it can be disputed. If the accident involved property damage of more than $50, then up to 6 points can be placed on your driving record, and your license can be suspended or revoked.  You have a duty to exchange contact, driving and insurance  information with the other party.  He probably discovered after the fact that there is some damage to his bike that needs to be repaired, and he reported it to the police.  I would dispute this since it is a misdemeanor and you don't want it on your record.  Find a criminal attorney in your area who can help you.  I don't think you technically left the scene, unless you did not provide the cyclist with any of your information (which you don't state in your question).


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption