rear ended. How can i protect myself legally

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

rear ended. How can i protect myself legally

i was rear ended in birch bay washigton last week. i am a canadian. The
driver of the other vehicle is from washington. the police arrived on site to
create a report and file number. The police had performed a road side
sobriety test to the other driver. My concern is how can i protect myself

Thanks Victor

Asked on September 2, 2019 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Keep good notes and documentation, including photographs for the cars, damage, intersection/road, etc. Get the names of any witnesses in case you need them. Contact the police to get a copy of the police report. Unless the person tries to sue you (and should lose if they do; in the U.S., the rear driver in a collision like this is almost always found to be at fault) or you elect to sue them, you will not need to anything, but in case litigation does ensue, having notes, photos, witnesses, etc. will be critical.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption