How can I make sure that my son will get my house upon my death?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I make sure that my son will get my house upon my death?

I’m 61 years old and in the market for a new house. I have a son who’s 23 and I was wonder what I would have to do to insure he would take over the house if something were to happen to me? Should I have him signing a quick deed at signing or should I wait?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


joseph kalish / joseph r kalish, pa

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

there are various ways:


life estate

joint tenancy

you need to review over all estate plan




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption