real estate matter

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

real estate matter

grandma & grandson are on title at the property as joint tenants, before grandma died she quitclaim it grandson, now grandson wants to sell the property, and familty members are asking for their shares, are they entitled for anything?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaimdeed transfers whatever ownership interest a person has in a property. It makes no guarantees about the extent of the person's interest. This can be especially useful if it isn't clear how much of an interest, if any, one party has in property that's held in the other's name. Quitclaim deeds are also frequently used when there is a "cloud" on title -- that is, when a search reveals that a previous owner or some other individual, like the heir of a previous owner, may have some claim to the property. The individual can sign a quitclaim deed to transfer any remaining interest.

All deeds must be notarized and filed. Some states even require that they be witnessed.  You should take all the documents you have to an attorney to review and advise you of the proper way to proceed.  Family can get funny when money is involved.  You need to protect your investment and your Grandmother's intent for the property.  Look here at for starters.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption