What to do if I’m being asked to falsify a lease on order to establish residency in a school district?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m being asked to falsify a lease on order to establish residency in a school district?

A friend has a granddaughter whose single father (my friend’s son) lives outside my school district and he wants his granddaughter to go to the high school in my district. He is asking me if I will sign a lease to his son for our residence so he can claim he lives in our district. What risks and precautions should I take if I do this? Am I at risk for criminal fraud in any way? What conditions should I have in the lease so he can’t kick me out of our residence?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) If you do this you are committing fraud and could face both civil and criminal liabilities.

2) If you sign a lease, then you will be limited your ability to evict the father, such as if you decide you  simply don't want him there. You could only evict for good cause, such as nonpayment of any rent in the lease, continued violation of terms of the lease, continued disturbance of the peace after notice to stop; etc. He won't be able to evict you as his landlord (the person leasing to him), but you will be giving up some control over your own space--for example, you may have to let him live with you.

This is a very bad idea. IF you would not mind renting or leasing space to him, then actually rent or lease that space to him--including having him pay fair market rent. But do not create a sham lease, and do not execute a lease if you are unwilling to actually be his landlord and have him be your tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption