When can I get out of a court order regarding the house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I get out of a court order regarding the house?

At divorce court ordered me to keep making mortage payments on house we own

so my ex-that wife had place to live. However, I just found out that she moved out of the house and is not living in it anymore and hasn’t been for awhile. She finally got in touch with me and wants me to sell. When I check on the house it’s completely trashed out inside and out. Should I keep making payments and who should be responsible for repair clean up?

Asked on October 5, 2018 under Family Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a motion with the court asking to be releived of the court order, allowing you to place the house on the market immediately and demanding relief of some sort with regard to the house.  Possibly that you receive more than she in the sale?  Possibly you be allowed exclusive possession to clean it up before sale and receive reimbursement from the sale proceeds - something.  Speak with your lawyer as to your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption