Real estate

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Real estate

My father retired and left his
home to me and my sister and
brother.the home is paid off.I
solely have paid all the
utilities and upkeep for the
past 2 1/2 years.they live
inside the home i converted the
garage into an apartment for
myself and wife. My siblings
refuse to pay any bills what
steps can i take to force them
to pay or even options to buy
them out?

Asked on January 22, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Co-ownership can be terminated by a procedure called “partition”. This is the legal tool employed by courts in situations when joint owners of property cannot agree as to ownership matters. Partition allows for the division of the property among the owners. Accordingly, if a property can be physically divided the court will instruct that it be done. However, if division would be impracticable (such as in the case of a single family house), the court would order a "sale in lieu of partition" with an equitable division of the proceeds among the co-owners. However, before doing, the court would permit one of the co-owners to purchase the interest of the remaining co-owners at fair market value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption