How to get a co-owner to sign over theor share of a house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a co-owner to sign over theor share of a house?

My uncle and I are on a deed my grandmother left for us after she passed; I am listed as first on the deed. My uncle has not put 1 dime into the house since. I repaired everything, not an exaggeration, so the house can be habitable. I have paid on the mortgage all alone. The loan is a very bad one and it is getting to expensive for me.Can a court order him to sign the deed over?

Asked on May 6, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, a court cannot order him to sign his interest in or share of the home over to you. What a court can do, if you and your uncle cannot voluntarily work matters out between the two of you, is order that the house be put up for sale and that the proceeds of the sale, after paying the costs of sale and paying off any mortgages, HELOCs, liens, etc., be split between the two of you. The court could also potentially order that you get a larger share to compensate for the investments you have made and costs you incurred but which your uncle did not. 
If you wish to explore this option, which is traditionally called an action or lawsuit "for partition," consult with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption