Quit Claim Deeds (3 separate pieces of property) in the names of six sibilings. Offer Pending. 4 ready to accept offer.2 holding out. How to resolve?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Quit Claim Deeds (3 separate pieces of property) in the names of six sibilings. Offer Pending. 4 ready to accept offer.2 holding out. How to resolve?

6 siblings named on quit claim deeds of our deceased parents. We have an offer on 1 of the pieces of property and 4 wish to accept the offer and 2 are refusing. Currently the quit claim deeds are Joint tenants with full rights of survivorship. 2 siblings want to change it to Tenants in Common. We are willing to do that legally but they are still objecting to the sale of the house. What recourse do the 4 of us have in order to not be held “hostage” by the other 2 siblings? It appears that it will always be 2 against 4 even when we agree to their “conditions”. How can we resolve this issue?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In most states, you would have the right to file a lawsuit for partition, where the court divides up the property rights, and it's quite possible that this would force a sale.  The law and procedure for this can vary from one state to another, and I'm not a Michigan attorney;  also, there may well be other facts that matter here.  You need to see a lawyer in your area for advice you can rely on, and one place to look for counsel is our website, http://attorneypages.com

It may be possible to use the offer you have right now, and let the holdouts know that if you go to court, and the property sells for less, the four of you ready to sell will ask the court for what you would have gotten from the rejected offer, with the difference coming out of their shares.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption