UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My ex boyfriend I purchased a home together in 1999.He left in 2003 married someone else.I asked for a quit claim deed but he want give me one.I have been paying the mortgage since 2003.What are my options.

Asked on March 24, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't force him to sign the home over to you: he is as much an owner as you and has equal rights to the home. All you can do is sell it and split the proceeds. If he won't voluntarily agree to sell, you can bring a legal action (commonly called an action "for ejectment," though your state may have a different name) and get a court order compelling a sale. In the context of the legal action, you may be able to get the court to order that you are repaid for the last several years of mortgage payments which you made on your own before the balance of the proceeds (after paying costs of sale and paying off the mortgage)  are distributed among the two of you. If you want to explore this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption