What to do about a home that was not sold as part of my divorce decree?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a home that was not sold as part of my divorce decree?

Approximately 9 years ago ex-husband and I purchased a home. My name is on the deed only. The home was supposed to be sold and paid off and the remainder if any of the money was to be split. The home was not sold and now my ex-husband is asking me to sign a quickclaim deed. If I do so, am I entitled to receive anything monetarily wise?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Before you sign any documentation concerning an asset that was part of your dissolution decree, you need to consult with a family law attorney about the situation so that he or she can carefully review the dissolution decree. This decree determines the rights and obligations owed to you by your former husband and vice versa in the absence of conficting state law.

If your name is on the property's title, if you sign a quit claim deed to your former husband regarding it, you are essentially releasing all claims that you may have in it. This may not be a wise decision on your part since you are inquiring if you are entitled to receive any portion of its sale proceeds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption