If I came to the US on a J-1 visa worked for 1 year in a company as an exchange student, can I change my status to H-1B visa?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I came to the US on a J-1 visa worked for 1 year in a company as an exchange student, can I change my status to H-1B visa?

It’ll be legal? Or when I can do this? I don’t have the 2 year home residency requirement. I also found an employer who is interested in me. If it’s possible, how long will this process take?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Immigration Law, Maine


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As long as you are not subject to the 2 year home residency requirement, if you have an employer who is willing to petition you for a H-1B, it can be done if the quota is not filled.  It will take about 3-4 months through regular processing.  If you want , you can have it submitted through Premium Processing for an additional $1225 USCIS filing fee.  That will guarantee a decision within 15 calendar days.  However, keep in mind that a decision does not necessarily mean an approval; it may be that you get a request for additional evidence within 15 days.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption