What to do if my wife won’t let e see my kids?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife won’t let e see my kids?

I left my wife. and now she won’t let me see my kids unless she is with us. She won’t let me take them overnight and she is seriously laughing about it. I have no idea what can and cannot do.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you can't work things out amicably (and it seems that you can't), you'll need to let a judge decide the terms of visitation. You can file for custody/visitation rights with the court. A binding order will then be issued which will outline the terms and conditions upon which you can see your children. If your wife violates this order she can be found in contempt of court. Typically such an order will be temporary, pending a final order which will be issued at the time of the dissolution of your marriage (I'm assuming divorce is the way things are going to go). 

At this point, you should consult with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption