What to do if my husband’s PO is imposing additional restrictions not contained in his release agreement?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband’s PO is imposing additional restrictions not contained in his release agreement?

My husband was convicted of a misdemeanor harassment charge. He did 6 months in jail, he was released today and the probation officer said he will not be allowed to live or have any contact (even supervised) with me or his 3 children. There was nothing put in his release agreement saying that he would not be able to have any contact with us, so can she do that? The only thing the release agreement says is that he can’t have any contact with the girl he harassed, which is understandable. When my husband took the plea bargain he asked the judge specifically if he would be able to go home to his wife and kids, and she said that she had no problem with that. What should we do?

Asked on August 15, 2011 Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Contact his old attorney and tell him or her know what is going on.  If he did not have an attorney now is the time to get one.  If this was not a condition of his sentence or his probation when the plea bargain was entered in to then he needs to fight the restriction that she is attempting to place on him now.  He really should speak with an attorney.  Trying to do this alone would not be in his best interest.  I hope that the other Judge stated her "consent" so to speak, on the record.  You may need to get a copy and indicate that it was the basis of the bargain - the plea. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption