UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I had QDRO paperwork drawn up. I now represent
myself. I was told by the lawyer who drew up the
papers that I had to ha ve my ex husbands lawyer
sign the QDRO paperwork before I could have it
signed by the judge. I signed and sent the paperwork
to my ex’s lawyer. How long should I wait for her to
return it to me and what if she delays sending it?
Also can she make changes to it without my consent?
Please help.

Asked on June 16, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A couple of weeks is a reasonable time to give the attorney to review the QDRO.  If the attorney still will not sign it, ask the court to set the matter for a hearing.  You may need to file a basic document called "Motion for Entry of QDRO".  Basically, you ask the court to make a decision on whether your QDRO is sufficient. 
To the last part of your question, no... ethically... the other attorney cannot make changes and present the order to your attorney without your consent.  However, keep in mind that shouldn't does not always mean they won't.  So... make sure your review any documents to insure their accuracy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption