Psychological exam and alimony

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Psychological exam and alimony

My marriage was mentally, emotionally and sexually abusive. I now have depression, PTSD and panic/anxiety. I have been diagnosed by a counselor and my doctor. My husband, who the last several years of our marriage said I was crazy, insane, had mental issues, etc. has decided that he doesnt want to pay alimony, so has had me undergo a psychiatric exam, to try and prove I have no issues and can go back to work immediately. If the exam by any chance comes back in my favor, and his lawyer decides not to use the results in court, is there any way that I can use it even though I did not pay for, or request, the exam?

Asked on May 31, 2019 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could use the mechanisms or procedures of "discovery," which are available in litigation (a lawsuit; a court case) to get information or documentation from the other side, to get this report. You would make a document production request for it; be sure to follow the court rules in your state for how, when, etc. to make the request.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption