What to do about property not mentioned in a Will?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about property not mentioned in a Will?

My wife inherited mineral rights on property after her Will was written so it is not mentioned in the Will. I want it to go to her children from a previous marriage. Does it go to me and I have to transfer it to them or can it be transferred now? The will has been probated. I live in TX.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I assume that your wife has passed away and this is why you are writing this question. Since she has a Will and the mineral rights that she inherited are not mentioned in the Will due to her inheriting these rights after she signed her Will, the mineral rights would most likely be picked up in the "residual clause" of her Will.

In essence, the residual clause of a Will is a clause that states any items not specifically mentioned in the body of the Will goes to certain people. Read your wife's Will carefully in that you should be able to get your answer.

I also suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption