Property Lien

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Property Lien

I was just notified that a Claim of Lien has been placed on my property. What are my rights to have this lien removed once I pay off the fees? I am not familiar with the Lien laws in North Carlina. Can you help? The lien is for late homeowners association fees.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area.  If the condo association files a lien and you pay it off, the condo association is required by law to file a release of lein.  otherwise, they are clouding title and are exposed to damages.  I suggest that you make the payment and send a letter enclosing the payoff check and ask them to remove the lien and provide you with a copy of the release of lien for your records.  If they fail to release the lien withn 2 weeks, you should go see a lawyer and sue them for clouding title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption