Property damage

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Property damage

I received a letter from the insurance company stating the damage to my camper
caused by my auto was covered by the comprehensive portion of my auto policy.
Days later they said the letter was a ‘mistake’ and my damage would not be
covered. Is the insurance company bound by the letter to cover my damages.

Asked on April 11, 2017 under Insurance Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The letter does not bind them: what binds them is the insurance policy, which is a contract. (The letter just stated an opinion or thought about the policy and its coverage, which could be wrong; it is the contract/policy which creates rights and obligations, not their letter about it.) Review the police against the circumstances or facts of the damage and item covered; if under the terms of the policy, the loss is covered, they should pay. If they will not, then you could sue the insurer for "breach of contract"--for violating their contratual (policy) obligation to pay for this loss--to get the money to which you are entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption