What to do about an unlawful single-wide trailer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an unlawful single-wide trailer?

Our adjoining neighbor recently put a single wide trailer in; he has 4 other double-wides on

the property as well. However, we were told the lot that he put the single-wide on was not supposed

to have another one put there. It used to be a double-wide that set their but it got repossessed years ago and the county said it couldn’t be another one put there because not enough land and the septic was an issue. So how was he able to get a building permit and it says replacing an existing double-wide but it has not been one there for about 8 years?

Asked on April 29, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

All you can do is report it to the town and/or county: if the neighbor is violating zoning, building, or health ordinances, the government can fine him for doing so (and since these fines continue if you don't correct the issue, they can mount up to quite alot). Unfortunately, *you* don't have any legal right or standing to take action about what someone does 100% on their own land; you need the government to act to enforce its own ordinances and laws in this regard.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption