Proof of citizenship for US citizen born abroad.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Proof of citizenship for US citizen born abroad.

Hello, Im a US citizen born in Canada. I’ve been living and working in US most
my entire life. I need to get a passport but my birth cert. is Canadian. I does
have my parents birth places in the US on it though. I also have a valid social
security card. Ive been told different things by passport agencies. Some say I
need to apply for a N-600 proof of citizenship. Other say a notarized letter
from my father stating his resident locations and my birth cert. ‘might’ work.

What should I do?

Asked on August 13, 2016 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Typically a birth abroad needs to be registered with the US Embassy in that country in order for the child to obtain the citizenship documents.  If that was not done in your case at the time of your birth, you can see about trying to establish that now and you can start by making an infopass appointment with the local USCIS office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption