Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


judge order to obtain attorney i have not been able to do i need to know the proper procedure for self representation

Asked on April 23, 2009 under Family Law, California


S.B.A., Member, California and Texas Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

If the Judge/Commissioner ordered you to hire an attorney, then you must have demonstrated that you cannot represent yourself. You should, seriously, consider hiring an attorney.

California has Family Law Facilitators in most Superior/Family Law courts. Check for a FLF in your area; they will help you complete the forms. There are also many excellent self-help books in CA regarding divorce - check out Nolo Press & others (they are in all major bookstores).

CA also has excellent online help, with all Judicial Council Forms, which have to be filed in a lawsuit, available for free download (google 'superior court of california' & go to the forms section).

Also check with your local Bar Association (in the phone book, under your County name) for any Family Law legal aid available in your area. If there is no legal aid available, the County Bar Assoc. can refer you to an attorney.

Many FL attorneys in CA will offer 'unbundled' services; they will complete the paperwork for you, or explain the process and offer advice without becoming the 'attorney of record'. Some may only appear in court for you - you have to check around and see if this is available in your area.

Many FL attorneys in CA offer free consultations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption