How can I cancel an internet account if my service is poor?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I cancel an internet account if my service is poor?

I recently purchased a 2 year internet deal which I can barely use due to a very poor connection. I have contacted the provider who agrees that the connection is unacceptable, but will not cancel the contract due to my old address being on the contract. The ID I provided at the time of signing the contract had my old address on it but I was told that this would not be an issue.

Asked on July 21, 2010 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the provider is breaching the contract by not providing useful connection or service, that should provide grounds to terminate it and possibly even recover some or all of what you've paid to date. You contracted to get a certain level of service and paid for it; if you're not clearly provided that, the contract has been breached. (Note that if the service is usable, not simply as good as you'd like, and also does not violated any clear-cut provisions as to download speed, etc., it's not as simple; then it becomes a factual dispute over whether you're getting what you contracted for.)

An old address is completely irrelevant to this issue--unless the provider is claiming that because the address is different, they can't prove it's you--in which case the contract is void, if you're not the proper party. So there is no way this argument can help them.

Note that if you try to get out of the contract and they won't let you, you may need to bring legal action to terminate it--or at least be prepared to defend yourself  legally, if you stop paying and they try to collect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption