Problem with a person

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Problem with a person

The booking agent at a bar in
Wallingford called up every single
live music venue in the state and
told them I harrass women. All
because I called her fat one night.
I had over 20 gigs booked around
the state, she called every club
owner and talked bullshit to get
all my gigs cancelled. What to do
about her?

Asked on September 12, 2018 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF she is actually lying about you--telling factually untrue things--you can sue her for defamation and also for tortious intereference with business or economic advantage (using improper means to interfere with business), seeking either or both or an order that she desist from doing so or monetary compensation. The key is, she must be lying. She may tell anyone a true thing about you, even if it hurts you. She may also express an opinion.
Example: she tells people you called her fat--that is true, based on what you write; she may say that and you can't do anything to stop it.
She tells people that she feels you are cruel or that you judge women only by their opinion; that is her opinion, and she may say that.
But if she tells people you said that she is worthless or ugly or that no one will ever want her, when you did not in fact make those statements: that is stating a factually untrue thing that harms you, and you could sue her for defamation.
A personal injury attorney (the ones who handle slip-and-fall or car accident cases) generally also handles defamation; if you want to explore this option of suing her, consult wth such a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption