UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My son has been on probation for 5 years, which is to be done in July. He was convicted of arson of a vacant residence. He has been on the straight & narrow ever since, but his new P.O. wants him to sign something to keep him on probation in 2 days. He is behind on his restitution. Our original attorney 5 yrs. ago said “They’ll try to make you sign, but don’t sign anything.” We can’t afford to get an attorney now. What can they do to him if he refuses to sign? He just turned 29 years old.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you can't afford an attorney contact the public defenders' office or legal aid.  This probably can be handled in a quick call with your son's PO.  They will advise you what to do.  In the meantime sign nothing.  Just tell the PO that you need to speak with his attorney first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption