Probate case information.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Probate case information.

I have been named as a beneficiary in the estate of my step-father. The estate is very simple, consisting only of $40,000 in cash. 16 months have passed since I recieved the letter. I am unable to get any information regarding the current status of the case from the executor, the court or the law firm representing the executor (and the deceased). Is it possible, in California, to get a court ordered accounting or audit of some kind? How would I go about this?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would write a letter to the executor (and if probate has been opened, with a cc to the probate court) and ask for the accounting that should have been provided to you.  The executor has a fiduciary duty to provided the beneficiaries with an accounting.  Now it is possible that probate has not been completed because these can take quite a while, but with such a small estate, it would surprise me that they did not do a transfer without probate which can be done under certain circumstances when the estate has under $100K.  Start with the letter because it is always good to put such requests in writing.  If you don't get anywhere, you might need a lawyer to send a letter for you or to make a phone call.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption